Skip to main content

Sullivan Elementary School

Main Menu Toggle
900 Elizabeth, San Benito, TX 78586 Phone: (956) 361-6880 Fax: (956) 361-6888

About Us

About Sullivan Elementary

C.W. Sullivan came to the Lower Rio Grande Valley in 1920 on a land-drive excursion trip. He was so impressed with the area, he bought a house in San Benito and moved his family from their farm near Edgeley, North Dakota.

Though he lived in town, he also owned some farm lands. His enthusiasm for the area led him into real estate where he was known as a land broker or farm superintendent. He handled the purchase of land for people who lived out of the state but who were interested in investing in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. He then took care of clearing that land and operating the farms and orchards for the non-residents. At the peak of his career he was supervising 60 different properties from Brownsville to McAllen.

Mr. Sullivan was on the San Benito School Board from 1931 through 1946, serving as president during many of those years. Both he and Mrs. Sullivan were firm believers in a good education for everyone and were active in promoting those beliefs.

Mr. Sullivan was also very active in the San Benito Methodist Church. Until his later years, he was always a trustee of that church and on the Official Board. In the 1920’s he served on the Finance Committee for the building of the Methodist Church structure we still see on N. Sam Houston Blvd.

                                                                                                   C.W. Sullivan
                                                                                                      1876-1965

State, District, and Campus Federal Report Cards:
https://rptsvr1.tea.texas.gov/perfreport//frc/2015/srch.html

Additional Information on Federal Report Cards:
http://tea.texas.gov/About_TEA/Laws_and_Rules/NCLB_and_ESEA/NCLB-ESEA_Resources/Federal_Report_Card/